Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Thinking of Truth

I deleted my Facebook. And not without good reason.

I felt that it kept me distracted. I do not believe Facebook to be a bad thing, however I desire that my time spent on the internet be another tool to utilize in order to renew my mind with God's truth. Which, in my experience, is the only way to be free from sin. The word says we are transformed by the renewal of our minds. There is a very close connection between the mind and the heart. It seems they work in unison, and I base that reasoning on scripture. "As a man thinks in his heart, so is he." One may even question whether or not they are the same thing.

The reason I desired to be rid of my profile is that I've discovered that the saying, "Bad company corrupts good morals" is quite accurate. It's so easy for my mind to become muddled by what I see and hear. I would like to say that I am strong enough not to allow lies affect me, but I would not be acknowledging the truth. The truth is, I am weak; I am unstable as water. I'm relieved to know it's no sin to be weak. It's no wrong thing to need Christ every moment.

Before, in my askew view of Christianity, I needed to be strong enough to live without Christ. I had to be independent and self-assured. That's a lie. I am susceptible to sin. It's delusion to believe otherwise.

3 comments:

Bino M. said...

Hi Matthew,

That is a noble reason to delete the facebook account. I have to agree with you that it is sometimes distracting. I was glad to see your new blog post in my feedly this morning. I still watch if there is any new blogs from any of our friends. Seems most people moved the conversation to facebook and other places.

I did that too. But lately I see myself going back and writing few posts here and there.

See you around, brother!

Joel Brueseke said...

I have to admit, FB has been a distraction for me as well, although I've seen some positive benefits from it. My problem has been that when I used to have some thoughts, I'd write them down and it would ultimately turn into a meaningful (at least to me) blog post of at least a few paragraphs. But FB makes it so easy to just type a sentence or two - the main gist of a thought - and leave it at that.

Some good conversations (as well as friendships) have come from that, and I'm not complaining about that, but it really has taken away from what I used to love doing. That is, taking time to really think about things, and how I want to word things - which ultimately caused me to take greater care with the subject matter.

FB is a thought every second, whereas on Blogger there's time to chew on stuff.

Mattityahu said...

I totally agree with ya there, Joel. I've found since I've deleted Facebook, I am using my blog again as an outlet, but on more positive terms. I have time to sift through my thoughts and assemble them in good order. It's very therapeutic and I've missed it.