Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Shining Like the Son

Jesus told me something today before I took my drivers test to get my license (which I passed!).

I was sitting on the trunk of my car, waiting for my cousin Paul to pick me up and drive me to the DMV when I was reminded of Moses coming down from talking with God and how his face was shining. The Holy Spirit gently whispered and told me that Moses' face wasn't shining because he willed it to shine. He could have tried to shine until his face turned blue and not an ounce of light would have come from his face. He was shining because he had been communing with God. He was just looking at God and listening. And his face was transformed and he started to glow. Paul then goes on to say after describing this in 2nd Corinthians chapter 3, "And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree on glory to another."

Now with us, it's not like Moses in that our physical bodies do not glow. It is Jesus in us who burns and He is our light by His love expressed through us. And how do we glow? By struggling to glow? No...By gazing into the face of Jesus with an unveiled face. After all HE is the light, not us. We're containers of that Light. We are not that light. "There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness, to bear witness about the Light, that all might believe through him. He was not the Light, but came to bear witness about the Light" (John 1:7-8)

I go back to the example I expressed somewhere on this blog before. The moon is a big ball of dirt. It has no light of itself. The moon is a reflection of the glory of the sun. The moon simply gazes into the face of the sun and it glows with the light of the sun. When the sun goes away at night, the moon remains as a light for people dwelling in the darkness. In the same way, Jesus shines on us and makes us glow in the midst of a dead world. You see, if I initiate ANYTHING, it is no longer Jesus doing it. It is me. It's no longer the Light Himself, it's me, the container of the Light (a ball of dirt) trying to make my dirt shine. It ain't gonna work. Flesh will always be flesh. It's dust. Dust only reflects the light of the Son. It is not that Light itself.

Gaze into the face of Jesus Christ, receive revelation and knowledge of Him and He will shine in you. He will burn in you. Drink of Him and He will flow through you.

7 comments:

Jamie said...

He's burning you beautiful, Matt.

Isn't it amazing? The more you hang out with Jesus the more people see Him, not you. Kind of a viney/branchy/fruity thing, you could say. His Life displayed through us. How can we not display His incomparable Love once we've gazed into His face?

-6Remember, our Message is not about ourselves; we're proclaiming Jesus Christ, the Master. All we are is messengers, errand runners from Jesus for you. It started when God said, "Light up the darkness!" and our lives filled up with light as we saw and understood God in the face of Christ, all bright and beautiful.
2 Corinthians 4:6.

Jamie said...

Congratulations, Boo!!! :)
We are soooo happy for you! Are you coming to see us this week-end?? ;)

I forgot...

Here's a link to the BEST DRIVING SONGS EVER:

http://stamptags.com/drivingsongs.htm

lydia said...

WOWSERS!!! Congrats!!

What a great post!! You must be gazing at Him, cause I do believe He is flowing through you in this post............much love!!

Celebrate good times!!!

Anonymous said...

Matthew,
Congratulations on getting your Driver's License!! Whoo hoo! Now, will you be driving around a bit to celebrate??

Great post here, as well. I love what you said here: "He was shining because he had been communing with God. He was just looking at God and listening. And his face was transformed and he started to glow...He was shining because he had been communing with God. He was just looking at God and listening. And his face was transformed and he started to glow."

As well, I love your mention of how the moon, itself, does not glow, but rather the moon reflects the sun's light! Great connection of that with how we reflect Father Son Holy Spirit.

Enjoy your "drive time!"

Blessings,
~Amy :)
Author of "Orphaned Into Belonging"
http://www.lulu.com/content/4781677
Walking In The Spirit
http://amyiswalkinginthespirit.blogspot.com

Mattityahu said...

Thanks guys!! Or girls rather. =P

This is a big step for the formerly 'too lazy and stupid to do anything right' Matt. Jesus OVERWHELMINGLY conquers through us. I just wish He would have conquered that three point turn a little better LOL. The street was TOO SMALL to do a 3 point turn without a wheel going off the side of the road. Freakin' impossible I tell you.

Ah well...Jesus and I passed and we're off the races!!! Ewww..I think I reminded myself of nascar.

Jamie said...

MATTHEW!!

I sincerely hope to NEVER, EVER see you reference yourself like that AGAIN!!! "Formerly" doesn't matter, either! You were never THAT person and you certainly aren't NOW!! Grrrr...Mama Cat is on that like white on rice!! :)

Ewwwhhh...nascar...no caps!! ;)

You are still our hero!

Bino M. said...

Matthew,
Great post!
I love being the moon!

Congratulations on your Driver's license!

Remember, it's not like the 'grace' giving you the license to sin (as some people say)... :)