Friday, July 3, 2009

Belonging to the Way

I heard and believed myself that in order to draw near to God I needed to do a, b, and c. I needed to be more dedicated and zealous. I needed to pray more, witness more, be selfless, read my Bible more, and so on. What is wrong with us? Are we really this foolish? What did you hear at the beginning? So why do you think what you originally heard has changed?

You want to draw near to God?

Wake up and listen. Hebrews tells you plainly. Believe the Gospel.

"On the one hand a former commandment is set aside because of its weakness (for the law made nothing perfect); but on the other hand, a better hope is introduced through which we draw near to God." (Hebrews 7:18-19)

So we draw near to God through the hope we have in Jesus Christ. This hope, we are told, "enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf." (Hebrews 6:19-20)

How did we become our own mediators and high priests? Jesus is our priest. Through HIM we draw near to God. Jesus clearly said, "I am the Way."

No comments: