Saturday, February 2, 2008

If I trust in behavior change, I'm not trusting in Jesus.

If I only come to God boldly when I have been a good boy, then I am not trusting in Christ Jesus' death.

If I think that my faithfulness or dedication to God has anything to do with God's love for me, I am not having faith in Jesus.

Why do we only come boldly to the throne of GRACE when we feel good about what we have done for God? I thought God resists the proud?

Why are we so focused on what we do for God? God has done it all in CHRIST JESUS. Why do I subconsciously feel the need to run from God if I'm on a "sinning streak" and feel my behavior isn't what it should be? Should I not rather run to God and come boldly to the throne of GRACE for help in time of need?

If I don't receive from God freely, then I have nothing from Him. If I think my obedience or spiritual disciplines has any effect in my salvation or sanctification, then I am not living by faith, rather I am living by law. The law nullifies faith in Jesus because the law is NOT of faith. So get out from under the old covenant and get in JESUS CHRIST.

2 comments:

Bino M. said...

Great thoughts Matthew!

Why do we only come boldly to the throne of GRACE when we feel good about what we have done for God?

Because we are self-obsessed. We are preoccupied with sin, behavior, good Vs. bad etc. The only 2 things law can produce is either pride or self pity. Both are from the pits of the hell. Thats why Bible says we die to the law when we place our faith in Christ. Unless we divorce law (die to the law), we cannot marry (alive to Christ) Grace. Period.

Only Look said...

Excellent brother Matthew. I see you are a fellow Luther Theologian.

:-)

Faith alone in His Justification freely given to you and I. Thats the heart of the gospel.