Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Getting Grounded

I just wanted to share this with everyone real quick. I was reading a post over at Lydia's blog and as I was reading a part of her post, I realized Jesus gave His disciples time to transition from Law to Grace. He wanted to lay the foundation of love and not duty. Of Grace and not Law.

This is what made the light come on for me:

"Now is a time of regrouping, of re-evaluating. We want to honor God in how we live as a family, how we raise our kids, but more importantly how we love each other!
And the all important rest........!! Ultimately, I mean resting in Christ during this time of transition from old ways of thinking and learning how to live in our freedom in Christ! (in every area of our lives, detox the old ways of thinking and put on the new.)"

"No one puts a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment, for the patch tears away from the garment, and a worse tear is made. Neither is new wine put into old wineskins. If it is, the skins burst and the wine is spilled and the skins are destroyed. But new wine is put into fresh wineskins, and so both are preserved."

Jesus was patient with His friends, to allow them to grow in Grace and in the knowledge of Him. He allowed them to have a root in themselves. He gave them time to have the foundation that He loves them freely so that their doing would not be done in haste and in compulsion, but in love.

4 comments:

Free Spirit said...

Really like this, Matthew.
I'm very partial to the verses you bring up about needing the new wineskins. It is such a vivid picture for me!

Anonymous said...

Matthew,
I found your Blog off of Nicole's GodBlog and Aida Carter. I read through a few of these, and they are great! I love your excellent balance of humor, intelligence and Truth.

I look forward to reading more. Feel free to drop me an email anytime.
~Amy :)
www.myspace.com/amyinsurprise

lydia said...

Matt,
What a great revelation you had here, I bet this will bring you and others much comfort, thanks for sharing it!!

Anonymous said...

Matt,
Beautiful how Papa placed on my heart to reread this Blog today. It brings me great comfort. I know that I'm in a state of transition too. The newness of living in the freedom in the wild, and discovering how to "do" this each day, being so freshly unknown in and of itself is wonderful, yet sometimes feels awkward. I'm grateful for Papa's Grace.
~Amy :)
www.myspace.com/amyinsurprise