Monday, September 10, 2007

Bootleg Righteousness

I'm watching a movie with mom on television at the moment and it's very...Interesting. It's based on a true story as well.

A professional football player, husband and father loses his memory and has suffered brain damaged in a car accident. He was in a coma, eventually woke up, but didn't remember his family. The brain damage caused him to think he was playing football or something at times. He would go in violent rages and forget where he was. Sort of like people who have been in a war and have flashbacks.

Anyway, the family takes him back home immediately, against the doctors advice, thinking that he would be alright once they got him around familiar settings. So they bring him home and he starts going in these fits of rage and things. He isn't himself anymore because of his brain damage. So the family finally decides to send him away to get professional help.


Eventually he comes home, and acts like he's himself again. He appears to remember everything. He's acting sane and in his right mind. Only he isn't- His wife, as he's sleeping, finds cue cards that had fallen out of his clothes. Cards that tell him what to say and how to act.


Anyway, I thought this was quite similar to the Christian religion. We want immediate results, so we whip our cue card (the bible) and learn what to say, what to do, then try and do it. Only it can never fix the problem. It patches it up, and hides the problem. It does nothing to heal the brain damage. It's phony. It's like those plastic fruit bowls that my grandma uses to decorate her dining room table with. It looks like the real thing, but it's fake. A carved idol. A counterfeit. Bootleg righteousness.

2 comments:

Joel Brueseke said...

Great post, Matthew. I can fully relate to the phoniness and fakery of "bootleg righteousness!" I pulled it off quite well for a little while. I knew all the key words, phrases and actions. But eventually I began missing my cues and I found I just couldn't keep up the act! The "patches" were tearing off and the problems were getting worse and not better.

Thank God for His GRACE, and for being a Father who we can be real with.

Grace Walker said...

Wonderful post, Matthew and great comment Joel!!

I, too, noticed over time that I just couldn't keep up the charade. I seemed to be getting worse at saying the "right" things at the "right" times and then felt condemned for missing it. In this grace walk, I'm learning that it's part of the process to realize that we can't do it. It's about Christ living His life through us.

Thanks for sharing!