Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I Can't Pay The Cost

Another amazing revelation I had today. I was ecstatic.

I had always heard the passage in Luke 14 where Jesus tells people they must count the cost of discipleship. This is another passage that used to drag me down, but I could never understand why Jesus would say count the cost of following Him, if not following Him meant eternal separation from God in hell. If that be the case, then obviously there is no counting to be done. Also, some have tried, but there is no way you can reconcile this with the gospel of grace. The gospel is completely unleavened.

So what is Jesus talking about? It's so plain, but we skim right over it because we automatically think we must do something for God. But grace, like Watchman Nee said means "God doing something for us, not us doing something for God."

So if you look closer at it, through the eyes of grace you can see that Jesus is telling everyone they cannot pay the cost, so they must trust in Him, because only He can pay it. "So therefore if any one of you does not renounce all that he has, cannot be My disciple."

Jesus never said dedicate. He said deny...Get out of the way.

Which reminds me of the parable of the foolish virgins. The foolish virgins took no oil, and their lamps burned out.

Some people live under the idea they must do something for God, and either end up running away from God or finally surrendering to God's grace. The foolish ones to me, are those who keep saying they can do it if only they try harder. But Jesus said you must die if you are to live. Take the leap of faith to dig deep into the grace of the gospel and learn. Take the risk of grace..I will tell you from my experience, it can get very hard and confusing. I experienced it today. There are days when I just feel nothing and can do nothing. I feel very tired, confused, and unsure about everything.

I feel like the most wretched person on the planet today. The devil will be quick to point out ALL your flaws to try and get you to run back to law and self-reliance.

"Those who hold the gospel in an honest and good heart bear fruit with patience."

No comments: