Wednesday, June 6, 2007

foolishness it seems

I was reading something on graceforlife.com and something struck me. I had never thought of it before..

God is revealing grace to me and what exactly it means.

"And "the offense of the cross" isn't the "Lordship of Christ". People bow to gods and gurus and messiahs all the time."

This was an eye opener for me. I thought the reason people were suppose to hate Jesus was because He wanted to run your life. In actuality, He wants to free your life. He wants to free you from worry, sin, depression, condemnation, guilt, etc.

The reason the cross is offensive, even to some professing Christians, is because of the freeness of it. It even scares me. It is scary. But this is how we must live. By faith. I hope I never forget this again.

It is scary because there is no law. There is no more chains tying you down and controlling you anymore. It seems like it's lawlessness, but it's freedom. It isn't trusting ourselves that we can be good, but in Jesus to set us free. Jesus said there are people who, at the judgment will say Lord, Lord, have we not done many mighty works in your name?" and He will say "Depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness." ...What? Did He just say it's lawlessness to cast out demons, preach and heal in His name? Why? Paul in some epistle (I forget which) gives us the reason. Paul says the law is good IF one uses it lawfully, knowing that the law was not made for the righteous, but for sinners. These people apparently are trusting in themselves that they are righteous because they are full of good works.

I scare myself living in complete rest in Christs work on the cross alone. I wonder if I will sin, get out of line, get lazy, etc. But the cloud of condemnation goes away when I am here. The oppressive spirit goes away and the worries are easy to fight when I can say it is finished because Jesus finished it completely and there is nothing left to be done but to accept it and rejoice in it.

I don't think it's wrong at all to completely trust Christ Jesus for salvation. I don't think it's wrong at all to put no focus on works, but instead on God's love, in His Son Jesus. I am hanging on Jesus' words, "Whoever does not receive the Kingdom of God like a child, will by no means enter it." Just look to Jesus..in simple trust and rest. This creates freedom, love and all the fruits of the Spirit. Because now we are resting in the powerful of the Gospel. It seems foolish..but it is the power of God.

No comments: